Wednesday, January 18, 2006

ahhhh the fun of looking for a Job

Well I guess I have been neglecting my Blog responsibilities lately. So here is another update.

So obviously a large part of my energy and spare time lately has been spent looking for a job. I am not sure if I am close or not, but I have a great experience I want to tell you all about.

DND job. Can anyone say charades?

I recently had an interview with the Department of National Defense. The job, pretty crazy requirements, I must have really wooed them on my qualifications letter (which I usually keep copies, but now I can not find it). This interview was in Ottawa on January the 5th. I go to the interview, arrive a couple of minutes early and start. So 845 I am sitting here with 3 gentlemen from DnD, they give me a half an hour to go over this 6 pages of questions that they are going to ask me. Two of them leave, the other takes a nap. Half an hour later the two come back, by this time, I am only half way done these questions, and I am thinking I should just walk out of here and cut my losses, there is no way I am qualified for this job.

Well the questions start, at this point I am wishing I memorized that study guide they gave me more because each question is worth a point, and if I do not say the exact yet word, I do not get the point. I am just sweating bullets, and they start asking me, so I try my best, at this point I understand what is being asked but I forget or do not know the key words, well these three gentlemen try there hardest to help me with out saying the words. This goes on for the next oh 4 hours, until we are done all 6 pages of questions. The next hour and a half is spent on another question sheet about my suitability at DND and my previous experiences. This I think I did pretty well on. (yes you did the math right, thats over 5 hours!)

There were several times during and after the interview when I had to literally bite my tongue to not say “sounds like, first word, two syllables….”.

Well at the end of the interview they ask for my references, at this point I am thinking I bombed this interview, no more government jobs!

So two days ago I receive an email from one of my references, this guy Jim from DND calls him for a reference check. After speaking with Mel (experience in the wackiness of Government) explains that this means that I made the eligibility list.

This is great, from thinking I scraped that interview to actually made the list, wow, now I am a little scared to find out how I did. From speaking with Mel, the top person on the list gets the job, if they decide to decline it, it goes to #2 etc…

Well, I am suppose to get a letter, so I guess we will just have to wait and see (ya I know I can call someone and find out how I did, but I like the suspense)

For now its just keep truckin away to find a job in good old O-Town.

Wish me luck!
MikeG!

3 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Heyyy...that's wild news!

Those DND guys are crazy when it comes to interviews. Most places do it the exam, then interview, then reference way!

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger AquariusDragon said...

Government... gotta love the hiring processes.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger James said...

You rock Mike. We are all wishing you the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home