Sunday, February 19, 2006

Time for a post

Well time for a new post, the vote is over soooo.

Some of the things going on:
Need a new phone
Need a new car
Need to get finances in order.

Well lets start with the cell phone, mine is about at the end of its life. I have had the phone for about 18 months now, so I can either wait the 6 months to get a free one, or pay the hit and get a new one from FIDO. I think it is just the battery, but I am not a 100% sure right now. I have a couple of options here
A. New battery from Fido (~50.00)
B. New battery from the internet (~25.00)
C. New phone from Fido(~100.00)
D. New phone from other source, say rogers if it works (as low ~35.00)

I will probably try for the new rogers phone, Duncan had a phone that he was thinking of selling and my friend Ken mentioned his brother can get some cheap (good) phones from rogers.


New car. This is one that has been on for a long long time. I am at the point with my car that I do not feel justified to put any time or money into it. I have been renting cars to go to and from Ottawa and that seems to work, but now I am starting to get concerned about my short little drive into work (oh well hopefully summer will be here soon and I can just take the bike.
My options
a. Brand new car (more expensive) say a Mazda6, an Altama, Accord, Acura or something like that.
b. Brand new car (an inexpensive one) say a civic, toyota yaris or matrix
c. A newer used car. this the options are limitless. but basicly newer than 2003 under $20,000 and less than 80k on it.


The final thing is to get my finaces in order, I am thinking of buying something expensive with Mel. More to come on that one.

MikeG

P.S still looking for that job in O town, I started using a new website http://www.ottawaregion.com/techdbase it is kinda cool, it has alot of the high tech companies in Ottawa. I started going through it, I managed to finish the letters and A, now I am onto B.

what does everyone think, if both an email, fax, and address is given. What is the best one to use?

7 Comments:

At 12:17 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Watch out for contracts that tie you in to a cell phone companies.

I vote for e-mail over fax.

I say get CAA + working cell phone, and drive your car into the ground.

$20,000 on a car.... I know having access to an auto shop makes me special, but that just seems like an excessive amount of money for a car, when you can get an older car for ~$5,000 that will last you 3-5 years.

my $.02

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger James said...

Mike - I'm selling my '02 civic. Here's a link with the info:

http://ottawa.craigslist.org/car/134131541.html

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

The question for Matt is...how much do you think you would be paying in the 3-5 years if you couldn't fix the thing yourself and had to bring it to a shop?

I've always wondered that. I personally think Matt's way of buying cars is genius. But he's handy (or at least his dad is handy) with autos.

As for the cellphone...buy one off of Duncan dude! Or, at the very least, remind him that you're a friend and friends don't charge friends an extraordinary amount for second hand stuff.

As for the car...get the Mazda6 baby.

As for getting a job in Ottawa...WTF? This is getting crazy. Maybe we should all help you fax out resumes.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger AquariusDragon said...

Phone: D
Car: C
Resume: Email

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger MikeG said...

I am very divided on the car thing. Part of me is with Matt, that would work great if I had the space or the time to do the work.
Then there is the value of a newer used car, but still like throwing money out the window, just with a more comfertable reliable ride. Then there is new, nothing like owning something that is not someones elses leftovers.

As for the phone I was leaning towards the one either from Duncan or Kens brother.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

with the car thing I'd definitely go with a newer used car. Like you said the options are limitless and you can score good deals. My sister got a 2001 Civic for 9K and it is as good as new. Unfortunately I do not know how to fix cars so I don't really have the option that Matt does.

As for resume I'd say email. I just applied for a government job though and I sent it both email and fax but they requested all this documentation that I didn't have scanned so I had to use the fax.

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Car: go used man. The first 3 years of a new car's life are when it depreciates the most. Get a 3-5 year old car that still has some powertrain/emissions warranty on it and get the low price of used and the (almost) reliability of new!

Car sites to check:
www.edmunds.com - lists stats and supposed prices
www.canadiandriver.com - Canadian prices
www.carsurvey.org - ugly site with brilliant information about used cars!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home